Concordia Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed on January 29th, 1898 by Swedish immigrants moving into the North Center community on Chicago’s north side. Concordia Church was formed as a member congregation of the Illinois Conference of the Augustana Synod. In the early ’80s, responding to the needs of the community, Concordia developed an after-school program for the children of single parents and low-income families. Expansion of this first community outreach led to child care programs of full-day preschool and full day summer camp. In 2006, renovations of a school facility in Avondale expanded our social ministry to include infants, toddlers, preschool and school-age children with additional outreach to teens, adults, and seniors: Concordia Place. Growth in ministry continues today, with 2 Concordia Day sites in Ravenswood and Old Irving Park, and a new faith community location under development in Avondale at Concordia on Whipple.
Today, Concordia Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, living its mission to “Love God. Love Your Neighbor” as part of a multi-site, multi-service family of ministries serving nearly 1000 people each year.
Below is pictured an original image of what the first Concordia Lutheran Church building looked like: